Technical Farm Manager - Overberg region
Our client, located in the beautiful Overberg region of the Western Cape, is looking for an experienced Technical Farm Manager to join their team.
The business specializes in the production and processing of leafy crops and supplies the major retailers. The processing factory is in the Hemel en Aarde valley close to Hermanus.
The purpose of the company is to develop a resilient business, their long-term goals are at the heart of their decision making of which sustainability and personal development of its people are the key.
The position being offered is a very exciting post as the incumbent will be given the tools to be innovative and creative in their drive to improve our farming methods and efficiencies.
Purpose of the role:
The purpose of the role is to ensure that the company delivers crops to its customers consistently and of a high quality. Through the Technical Farm Manager’s research and trials, the company will keep ahead of its competitors and meets the quarterly and long-term goals for the business. The position would report to the Farm Operations Manager.
Key areas of responsibility:
1. Delivering above 95% of the customers’ orders:
- Crop scouting and reporting decision making.
- Determining and giving instruction to production management on crop growing information – such as crop rotation, planting plans, crop nutrition, spray plans and chemical management.
2. Delivering crops to customer quality specifications:
- Daily crop quality control at harvest and during storage.
- Engaging and communicating with customers on quality issues and stock levels.
- Manage QC systems, policies and training.
3. Driving innovation in digitization, mechanization and farming methods through research and trials to ensure the business stays ahead of the competition and strives to meet business goals:
- Conduct research – Internet, conferences, networking etc.
- Set out accurate trials and report on findings.
- Work closely with production management in rolling out new practices.
- Develop healthy long-term relations with customer technical management and with the suppliers.
- Set up and manage trial viewing days with customers and seed suppliers.
4. Ensuring the farm reaches its annual audit standards that are set by customers and interested parties:
- Manage documentation and processes to meet audit standards.
- Manage 3rd party Consultants involved in audits.
- Prepare for and be involved in annual farming audits.
- Degree / Diploma in Intensive Agriculture (preferably in Intensive Cropping Systems, Hydroponics, Horticulture) and or have tertiary Technical Qualifications in R&D.
- Preferably certification in AVCASA Chemical Management or any courses in Chemical Handling.
- Preferably H&S course.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in a Technical or Production role in an intensive production environment, preferably Intensive Horticulture / Agriculture / Hydroponics OR a recent Graduate with an Agricultural Degree with focus on intensive crops, technical subjects such as research, crop nutrition etc.
- Ability to problem solve and manage risk in the farming environment.
- Show maturity and competency in dealing with people, good communication and staff engagement to develop skills and to reach goals.
- Ability to make informed and sensible decisions.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to plan well and execute these plans for complex work environments.
- Comfortable and positive in group situations and with customer engagement.
- Broad knowledge on farming, growing methods, staff management and equipment. Ability of utilizing them effectively.
- Proficient in Excel, Power Point, E-mail and Word.
- Good knowledge in setting out trials correctly and writing reports.
- Preferably knowledge of Hydroponic Farming.
- Good knowledge of farming equipment – sprayers, bed making machines, irrigation, pumps etc.
Market related salary on offer.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Please forward your CV to us if you meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Please assume that your application was unsuccessful If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks from the date of this advertisement.
Salary: RMaket elated
Job Reference #: RUD73