Finance Associate - CoGrammar
CoGrammar is looking for a motivated Finance Associate with exceptional attention to detail, diligence, and experience with VAT, SARS, and PAYE compliance coupled with strong bookkeeping skills.
As a Finance Associate, you will directly report to CoGrammar’s Chief Financial Officer and work closely to support our CEO. You will take charge of support financial reporting and analysis of the business, preparations of financials for audit, budgeting and forecast modelling, ensuring compliance, cost analysis and management, tax management, and managing payments to suppliers.
You will be supported by multiple external accounting firms and a rich Operations team in ensuring the internal systems of a high-growth tech support scale.
We are looking for team members to join a company that is already recognised as one of the top education technology startups in Europe, Middle East and Africa, with a team size standing at nearly 100. CoGrammar won first prize in Facebook’s Africa Innovation Challenge Award as the top edtech startup in Africa, and is backed by Facebook, Google and the University of Cambridge.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reconciling bank, suppliers and customer accounts and identifying discrepancies, process improvements, etc.
- Reviewing and reconciling balance sheet accounts
- Entering financial transactions into Xero
- Maintaining digital and physical financial records
- Preparing monthly payment runs
- Preparing payroll for approval
- Loading payments to bank accounts, ready to release
- Modelling all expenses and revenues to help forecast the company P&L on a monthly and annual basis
- Analysing data for insights to provide feedback to team leads and management for optimising costs and planning revenue growth
- Preparing reports for the management and identifying areas for improvement to make financial reporting more useful and actionable for strategy-setting.
- Creating and updating management reports
- Liaising with the company’s external accounting firm on annual accounts
- Participating in quarterly and annual audits.
- Preparing and submitting PAYE, NIC and VAT for the UK and SA companies.
- BSc/BCom in Accounting, Finance or relevant field
- Work experience as an Accountant, Financial Assistant or Accounting Clerk
- Proficiency in basic bookkeeping functions
- Experience using Xero or an equivalent accounting system
- Experience using SimplePay or an equivalent payroll system
- Experience and understanding of South African VAT, PAYE, UIF, SDL requirements
- Experience and understanding of basic financial compliance and regulations
- Hands-on experience with Google Sheets and Google Suites
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time-management, task-management and organizational skills
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information
Position will be based at CoGrammar's office in Woodstock, Cape Town and the salary is negotiable.